A chapel has existed in Longwood from 1749. All that remains of it now is a pillar located in the graveyard on which the names of vicars are inscribed.

The existing Church was built by public subscription in the late 19th century to replace an existing Chapel of Ease. It was consecrated on 15th November 1877 by Bishop Bickersteth of Ripon.

The bell tower was added in 1914 in memory of the Crowther family. A new peal of bells which included the original Sanctus Bell, dated 1750, from the Chapel of Ease, was dedicated by Bishop Frodsham, the Vicar of Halifax on 22nd September 1923. In 1926 a carved oak Chancel Screen was donated by the Livesey Family and a Carved Oak pulpit was donated by Canon Roberts and friends.

In the mid-1930s, the Crowther Family replaced the existing pine pews with oak ones. Oak choir stalls were donated by the Hirst Family. A new parquet floor and heating system were also installed. In 1959 a Lady Chapel was created and furnished following a bequest by Isobel Shires and a Votive Light was given in memory of James Goodall. The choir vestry was also refurbished.

St Mark’s has 13 excellent stained glass windows, dating from early to mid-20th.century. There is a window dedicated to Mary Sumner, Founder of the Mothers’ Union, which is the only one in the country. The West window is a memorial to the First World War.

In 1990, the old Organ was scrapped and replaced in 1991 by a redundant organ from Tyneside which was dismantled and rebuilt by Woods of Huddersfield in the North Aisle of the Church. A new clergy vestry was created from the old organ loft. A portable nave altar was also created from redundant pews.

Since 2001, a new gas central heating system has been installed and the Lady Chapel roof retiled. A sound system has been installed and disabled access and toilet provided. We hope to continue to develop and preserve this beautiful and historic building